2010: Will Strasburg be the Nats' "savior"?
The high expectations (Jesus!) raised by Stephen Strasburg boosted attendance once he arrived in Washington in mid-May, but the Nats quickly encountered a "reality check." The addition of veteran catcher Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez to the lineup was a huge benefit, offensively and defensively, but the injury to newly acquired pitcher Jason Marquis was a big setback. The middle of the Nats' lineup -- Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, and Josh Willingham -- is about as strong as any team in baseball, but too often the team failed to capitalize on scoring opportunities. Strasburg injured his elbow in July, going on the disabled list, and it only got worse after he returned in September, requiring Tommy John surgery.
|CF: Nyjer Morgan .253|
|LF: Josh Willingham .268||RF: Michael Morse * .289
Roger Bernadina *
|SS: Ian Desmond * .269||2B: Adam Kennedy * .249
|3B: Ryan Zimmerman .307||1B: Adam Dunn .260|
|Batting average for position players, ERA for pitchers.
Managers: Jim Riggleman
|C: Ivan Rodriguez * .266||* (asterisk): new player;|
- Apr. 17 -- Livan Hernandez complete game shutout, 4 hits; WSH 8, MIL 0. @
- Apr. 18 -- Brewers score 10 runs in 1st off Jason Marquis, win 11-7. @
- May 6 -- Scott Olsen 7 innings with no hits; WSH 3, ATL 2.
- May 12 -- Roger Bernadina hits 2 homers, makes great catch; WSH 6, NYM 6.
- May 31 -- Nats score 9 runs in 7th, beat Astros 14-4. @
- June 8 -- S. Strasburg 14 strikeouts in first career win; WSH 5, PIT 2.
- June 23 -- S. Strasburg 9 K, but first career loss. KCR 1, WSH 0. I was there!
- July 6 -- Ryan Zimmerman 2 home runs, incl. GW in 9th inn.; WSH 6, SD 5.
- July 31 -- Ryan Zimmerman GW home run in 9th inn.; WSH 7, PHI 5.
- July 7 -- Adam Dunn 3 home runs; WSH 7, SD 6.
- Aug. 13 (Friday!) -- Wil Nieves home run; WSH 4, ARI 2. I was there!
- Sept. 6 -- Danny Espinosa 2 home runs, incl. GS, & 2B & 1B; WSH 13, NYM 3.
- Sept. 14 -- Adam Dunn, Livan Hernandez, Ian Desmond HRs; WSH 6, ATL 0. @
- Sept. 15 -- Justin Maxwell grand slam; WSH 4, ATL 2. @
- Sept. 22-23 -- D. Espinosa & M. Morse both homer on consecutive days, beating Astros 4-3 and 7-2.
- Sept. 25 -- Derek Lowe outduels Yuniesky Maya; ATL 5, WSH 0. I was there!
2010 memorable moments
"@" = away game
|Month||Wins||Losses||NL East place
|May 2010||13||16||T 3rd||11||241,137||21,922|
SOURCE: My unofficial daily tabulations from MLB Gameday stats, Washington Post, and other newspapers.